Monday, December 19, 2011

Gender Reveal Cupcakes I made for a friend!

A friend I met here in Minnesota just found out she will be having a little boy! She wanted to tell our bible study group the sex of the baby by having everyone bite into a cupcake filled with blue icing! I volunteered to make these cupcakes for her since she works and is really busy (and I am currently not working and have plenty of time to do fun things like bake!)


I found a few really cute cupcake ideas on Pinterest and decided to put my own spin on what I found. I went to a really cool store in our local mall called "Kitchens," and found a cupcake corer and purple sugar sprinkles. I then went to the grocery store and bought vanilla and chocolate cake batter. I decided to make my own vanilla buttercream frosting and cheated on the blue icing by buying good old blue icing in a can. I also bought reduced-fat vanilla wafers and black icing gel.


To make the cupcakes I followed the instructions on the box.


To make the buttercream I combined:
-1 cup butter at room temperature
-6 cups powdered sugar
-1/2 cup whipping cream
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
-Use a stand mixer and combine all ingredients to the desired consistency. Add more powdered sugar if needed!
**Also make sure you have a frosting bag or you will have to apply the buttercream to the cupcake with a knife, and they never turn out as pretty that way!


After the cupcakes cool, use the corer to remove the center of the cupcake (but only push corer half way in as you don't want the cupcake cored the whole way through!)
(The corer)
When you pull the corer out and push the plunger so the center of the cupcake comes out, save it because you need to put the top back on the cupcake! Fill the hole in the center with blue icing...
Then put the tops back on the cupcakes...
I put my buttercream frosting in a frosting bag with a regular tip on the end and applied my icing in a circular motion. I then sprinkled my purple sugar crystals on top (or any NEUTRAL baby color would work like green or yellow). I then used my black gel icing to put "?" on the vanilla wafers, and placed them on top of the cupcake!


and....WALLAH! you have delicious gender reveal cupcakes!! These are a great way to tell your friends and family the sex of your baby! Make sure everyone bites into their cupcake at the same time so everyone sees the blue icing at the same time! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment