Sunday, October 16, 2011

Super easy and fun Halloween Treats!

As I mentioned in one of my last blog entries, I love fall...and I especially love Halloween!! To get in the Halloween spirit, I decided to bake some yummy Halloween treats. Originially I planned to bake the cupcakes, decorate them, and send them home to my family. However, I was obviously was not using my brain because there is no way I could send the cupcakes without them being ruined in the mail. Therefore, I baked all 48 cupcakes and have been giving them to the neighbors (while keeping quite a few for ourselves...oink oink).



These guys are super easy to make and are really fun. Little kids would easily be able to help make these edible critters.

To make the bat cupcake you will need:
-Chocolate cake mix
-Chocolate frosting
-Mini marshmallows
-Chocolate creme oreos
-Andes Mints
-M&Ms

Bake the chocolate cupcakes according to the recipe on the box. Once the cupcakes are cool, frost them with chocolate icing. Cut a chocolate oreo in half and place them in the cupcake as wings. I cut an Andes Mint in half and then into triangles as the bats eyebrows but that isn't necessary. Place two M&Ms for the eyes and pull little pieces of mini marshmallow off to form into fangs.

 To make the spider cupcakes you will need:
-Chocolate cake mix
-Chocolate icing
-Chocolate sprinkles
-M&Ms
-Gummy worms

Bake the chocolate cupcakes according to the recipe on the box. Once the cupcakes are cool, frost them with chocolate icing. Sprinkle the chocolate sprinkles all over the top of the cupcake to make the spider's little hairs. Place two M&Ms as eyes and push 4 gummy worms on each side to make the spider's legs.


To make the blue monsters you will need:
-Any flavor cupcake batter
-Blue icing (I bought Betty Crocker's Blue Decorating Cake Icing in the can)
-Twizzlers
-Circus peanuts
-Mini Marshmallows
-M&Ms

Bake the cupcakes according to the recipe on the box. I baked "mini cupcakes" by using a mini muffin tin. If you do not have a mini tin, use your large one and only fill half of the cupcake foil. Once the cupcakes are cooled take them out of the wrapper and place them upside down on two circus peanuts. Use the blue icing and the "flat tipped icing nozzle" to make "long hair" all over the blue man. Place two marshmallows for the whites of the eyes and two M&Ms as the eye color. Cut a twizzler in half and then slice in long ways to make the monsters antennas!


To make the candy topped cupcakes you will need:
-White or vanilla cake mix
-White frosting
-Food coloring
-Candy to place on top

Bake the cupcakes following the recipe on the box. While the cupcakes are cooling, put the white frosting in a bowl and add food coloring to make the desired color. I tried to make a grayish color by mixing a few drops of each food coloring. Place a piece of halloween candy on top to make them look spookier.

 If you decide to make these spooky critters, I hope they turn out boo-tiful!






No comments:

Post a Comment