Saturday, October 29, 2011

Baking Extravaganza Part 2: Halloween Cookies

This post is a bit delayed but I figured I would write “part two” to my baking extravaganza I had a few posts ago…click here.

Anyway, long story short, I decided to take the leftover ingredients I had from decorating my cupcakes and make cookies. I followed a pretty basic sugar cookie recipe and then tried to add some fun twists for Halloween (but more just to use my left over candy because I CANNOT leave it in the house or I will eat it all=ZERO SELF CONTROL!)

First, I decided to make “thin mint sugar cookies,” but called them ghost poop cookies when I sent them to my brother (he’s 7 and I had to make it somewhat Halloween-ish/scary). Next, I made M&M cookies…they were pretty difficult to make because I had to put the M&Ms in the cookies mid way through baking, and for those who are challenged bakers like me finding the right time can be difficult. Anywho, I decided to call them “monster cookies” because of the big M stamped on the M&Ms. Pretty creative, huh!?
Then, I got fancy. I decided to whip out my food coloring. Since orange is not supplied in the food coloring kit, I had to use advanced chemistry. I mixed some drops of red with some drops of yellow and got a beautiful orange color.

For the first batch of orange cookies I placed two marshmallows in the dough right before I put the cookies in the oven. I thought the marshmallows would melt and make a nice gooey center, however, they shriveled up and actually ended up looking kind of like…boobs. Weird, I know. It was definitely not my intention, but I went with it and called them “goblin boobs.”

For the second batch of orange cookies, I added chocolate sprinkles to the dough and baked them. They turned out like I had hoped. I thought ahead for this baking experience and had addressed boxes sitting on my kitchen table. I bagged the cookies, put them in the boxes, and drove them to the post office. I hope my mail recipients enjoyed their Halloween treats :)

No comments:

Post a Comment