Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Mom's Delicious Chicken Corn Noodle Soup!

It was a rather dreary day here in northern Florida, so I decided to make Mickey and I some of my mom's chicken corn noodle soup. When I turned 18 my mom gave me a hand written recipe book full of our family's favorite recipes! I absolutely LOVE my cookbook and use it all the time. Today, I went to the "soup tab" and my mom's recipe was there on the first page. I went to Publix to pick up the ingredients, and an hour later we had amazing chicken corn noodle soup. 





Ingredients: (I bought all organic ingredients, but that is obviously optional)
1. one whole soup chicken 
2. half and half (can use fat free if you wish)
3. one box of chicken broth
4. fresh parsley
5. whole wheat soup noodles
6. carrots with tops
7. shredded carrots
8. one bag frozen corn
9. Parmesan cheese


Directions:
1. Place whole chicken in a pot on the stove, pour broth in the pot and then add enough water to completely cover the chicken. 
2. Rinse the carrots with tops, then place them in the pot with the chicken.
3. Bring the pot to a boil and continue to boil until chicken is completely cooked (time depends on how large the chicken is, but a half hour is usually the minimum amount of time)
4. Once chicken is cooked (no pink in the meat) put a strainer over a new pot and strain broth into pot, leaving chicken and carrots in the original pot. 
5. While chicken cools in seperate pot, add 1/2 cup of half and half to broth. Pour in noodles,shredded carrots, and desired amount of chopped parsley.Bring pot to a boil.
6. When chicken is cool enough in seperate pot, pick off the pieces of meat and add them into the broth pot with the noodles and shredded carrots. Add frozen corn to the soup, and turn on low.
7. The carrots with tops usually just go in the trash, but I cut up the carrots and mixed them with Jagger's dog food. He loves carrots and they are good for dogs :)
8. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Top with Parmesan Cheese before serving.


Enjoy! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment